Friday, May 3, 2013

Las Vegas for First Timers


After viewing countless movies that overwhelmingly succeeded in making Las Vegas for me, synonymous with extreme and intense fun, I finally got the opportunity to see for myself.   Long story short, I agree whole-heartedly.  I had an absolute blast.  Let me point out; however, that I went with my fiancĂ© and another couple so the concept of Las Vegas being a city strictly for bachelor parties and the “what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas” mantra did not apply.  Not to say that it never does, it just didn’t’ in my case.

Now let us move on to Las Vegas and the immense fun that lies within.  We stayed for three days and went towards the end of April so “it was hot” is a pretty bad understatement, but it was a nice change from the cold weather that I’m used to and besides, who goes to Vegas to wear a bunch of clothes, anyway? 

The strip was packed.  I mean people literally everywhere.  I was a little surprised to see so many older people, but considering Vegas is kind of expensive it made sense.  The nice thing about going to Vegas is that it’s almost like going to a number of places all at once.  There are mini-replicas of many of the major attractions in the world like the Sistine Chapel and the Taj Mahal. 

Exploration of the strip took the entirety of our first day.  Between the massive amount of people and that you have to take escalators, elevators and cross bridges to get to most places due to the lack of crosswalks, it is very difficult to get anywhere fast.  However, the first day was awesome because I was able to see most of the strip and I would suggest anyone do this.  One just taking a simple stroll down the strip receives a large spoon full of what Vegas is all about: unapologetic entertainment.

The second night, we attended a show in the New York New York Hotel called Zumanity.  Now as I said before, I am an amateur traveler so this was my first show of this caliber.  I won’t go into detail, but I will say if you get a chance to see a Vegas show, especially Zumanity, take it!  During the day we gambled, laid out by the pool, but the heat was intense so be sure to apply sunscreen and carefully monitor your body heat.  The temperature ranged from 100 to 105 degrees the entire time we were there.  Gambling was awesome though.  Although we didn’t win any money, we didn’t lose much either and we were gambling for hours.  As long as you’re gambling you receive free drinks.  It was a really great time.

The third and final day, I have to admit we were exhausted.  The heat combined with such a massive amount of fun can really take a lot out of you.  We rode an incredible roller-coaster, did a little more gambling and spent the rest of the day drinking by the pool.   Las Vegas: spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment