Monday, April 22, 2013

Getting a New Job in a New Place


So you’re moving, and you need a new job. No big deal (I know you’re going, “yeah right,” but hear, or in this case, read me out). Rest assured you will find one. There are hundreds of thousands of success stories. It can be done and it will be done, by you. I tell you that confidently because I did it, and I assure you that if I did it with hardly any money, job experience or a car, you can do the same thing. The purpose of this post is not so much to provide a regimented check-list as it is to provide my most humble, experienced-through-trial-and-error advice on the subject. Through this post, I desire to provide you with my relevant perspective, as I have just recently moved to Denver, CO from Raleigh, NC.

First of all, as I mentioned before: do not worry, you will find something. Secondly, really figure out and decide what it is that you want. Do you want a job as soon as possible; do you want to make lots of money; travel; would you rather do something you’re passionate about? It may be all four or more even and that’s completely fine, but don’t fail to contemplate how these desires hold up side by side in case you ultimately have to make that tough decision. Once you figure it out, maybe you already have, immediately develop tunnel vision, that, “it’s this or nothing attitude.” This will draw on your poise and assertiveness so that you may more effectively communicate to employers why it’s you and not those other guys, who ought to have the job.
Before I moved to Denver, I applied on Craigslist, Indeed and many other job websites for hours, daily. I received few call backs, which resulted in my looking in the mirror. What I came to realize was that I hadn’t been advertising my best self. Would I want to hire me? I re-did my resume, began writing job-specific cover letters, sending thank you emails to those that turned me down and thank you cards following all interviews, good or bad. In other words, I stepped it up. I eventually ended up accepting another job in another city, and although it wasn’t Denver, the position led me to finding my passion and ultimately the job I have now, which is in Denver.

Lastly, I would email people in your desired field directly by running a Google search and contacting relevant staff on each relevant site that pops up. Email them with your resume attached and see what happens. If they have an internship, take it. Please, please spell check and obsess over your grammar. Many people overlook this crucial step, but it could be, and most of the time is, the difference between consideration and the trash. My transition was not easy and regardless of whether yours is or not, I would still suggest that you too, step it up. We can always be improving. Hope this helps!

1 comment: