Friday, April 19, 2013

Turning 26: An Age of Freedom


Happy Birthday! Apologies if it is not your birthday, but considering that I always do a quick Google search of what other people are doing at the dawn of my new age, I assume there are others who do the same. If it makes you feel any better, I too am guilty of doing a Google search on my age, mid-year. Whatever, it doesn’t matter why you‘re here; I’m just glad that you came. Welcome.

The purpose of this post is to provide some information about what it feels like to be 26 from a perspective other than your own. Perhaps you are curious about new inspirations or epiphanies that occur at this age. Or maybe you are considering writing a blog post about this age yourself because most of the writers inspired to contribute on this topic are Debbie Downers at best. Like I said; whatever!

Currently, I am a new resident of Denver, Colorado. I just moved here from Raleigh, North Carolina with my fiancĂ© in December of last year. Coming from the south, moving across the country is no small feat, but I did it, just like I did many things that I hadn’t imagined doing. This is not to say that I had low expectations for myself, but I admittedly have been draped in the cloak of youth, and although I am capable of envisioning myself basking in a sea of money, I realize that my mind does not yet conceive forethought nor does it fully grasp the correct formula for acquiring financial increase. With this new age it does, however, recognize the power of desire, and I strongly believe this desire coupled with learned and applied persistence will result in my success of all feats fathomable.

Last year, I rode a plane for the first time, quit a job for the first time (there were lots of firsts), made yet another attempt at learning how to swim, picked up smoking once again (also lots of agains), and made the decision to follow my career goals no matter what (another again; life knocks you down, but you get back up). At the end of the day, or in this case, year, you live and you learn. I still like to have a good time, but past experiences have taught me what and what not to risk in exchange. For instance, I still like sex, but I have made the decision to narrow it down to one person. I still like to dance, be irrational, spend/eat irresponsibly, listen to insensible music, scream out my age as if I’m seven, exhibit over optimism and argue like it’s the last argument of my life. I’m 26, baby!

What I mean to say is I am not where I thought I’d be, but I find comfort in the fact that I am alive, and at this age I can literally do whatever I want: more school, start a business, family, club, whatever. The choice is mine. 26: an age of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment